ARCHIVIO CASORATI – CASA MUSEO FELICE CASORATI
The village of Pavarolo, near Turin, was chosen by Felice Casorati and his wife Daphne Maugham as a place to retreat during the summer: in 1930, they bought the “white house” from which they never managed to remove “the smell of hay and stable” . There, just below the garden, the master built his studio, overlooking the neatly cultivated hills opposite, present in many of his paintings; in that country, a place of refuge for the whole family during the war years, his work, Felice says, “became more serene, safer and calmer”.
To fulfill the wishes of his son Francesco Casorati, the studio, overlooking the valley, was entrusted by the family to the Municipality of Pavarolo, in order to create a permanent museum and a point of development for cultural projects.
The Municipality of Pavarolo, to revive the studio, has undertaken important structural redevelopment interventions and, thanks to a contribution from the Compagnia di San Paolo in the context of the “Guidelines for the enhancement of historical and artistic heritage” and the collaboration with the Casorati Archive of Turin, this space opened to the public on 22 October 2016 with an exhibition, curated by the art critic and historian Francesco Poli, of lithographs by Felice Casorati. In 2017 an exhibition was inaugurated with works by Daphne, who, after Felice’s death, used that space as her studio. Since the studio was converted into a museum, every year it welcomes various exhibition initiatives involving artists called to dialogue with the art of Felice Casorati.